A challenge for a cause
Thank you to everyone who took part in our 2020 summer challenge. Together we’ve raised over £5,500 to help those living in poverty in Leicester!
It’s never too late to make a difference, so if you fancy setting yourself a personal challenge we are cheering you on! Follow these simple next steps:
- Plan Your Challenge. No matter how far you plan to cycle, walk, run, row, unicycle or whatever other means of travel you may wish to use (!) it’s time to plan your route and get training! We’ve put together a suggested 20, 50 and 80 mile cycle challenge below and also a suggested list of areas to walk. But don’t let these limit you if you don’t live near by.
- Start Fundraising. Make sure your hard work counts. Set up a Just Giving page, share it with others and see how much you can raise! If you use Strava you can link it into your fundraising page so that you can share your progress with others. Every penny raised will help those suffering poverty in Leicester.
- Share Your Photos. Take a photo of you and/or your group completing your challenge and share it with us on social media (Facebook, Twitter or Instagram) @OpenHandsLeics so that we can share it with others and cheer you on!
- Celebrate! It’s time to take a deep breath and pat yourself on the back. A thank you is coming your way!
The 20 Mile Cycling Challenge
- North – Soar Valley Watermead Water Park
- South – Great Central Way to Blaby
- East – Rutland Water Cycle path
- West – Desford Bird Garden to Thornton reservoir
These maps centre on the city of Leicester. Your home location may be different so please adapt the map to fit where you live.
The 50 Mile Cafe Cycling Challenge
- North – Bryer’s Deli, East Leake.
- South – Wistow Café
- East – Café Ventoux
- West – Bosworth Battlefield Line Café
The 80 Mile Cycling Challenge
From your location, cycle to the following four famous landmarks:
- North – The BBC Transmission tower near to Waltham the Wold
- South – The Nasby Civil War Battle Memorial
- East – Rutland Water dam.
- West – Moira Furnace
(or click here for more Leicestershire cycling maps)
The Walking Challenge
- North – The Outwoods to Buck Hill
- South – Fosse Way to High Cross
- East – Quenby Hall to Hungarton
- West – The Battlefield Line Canal
(or click here for more Leicestershire walks)
Find previous years’ route maps below for your interest:
Thank you for your support.